- Loosen vang and Main sheet (open clutch and take off self tailing winch).
- Prepare halyard (open clutch & attach to main sail)
- Ensure all 3 reef clutches, outhaul and boom vang are open
- Open bimini windows to visualize mast and sail track
- Position boat head to wind
- Engage auto pilot if short handed
- Halyard on to winch (4 or 5 turns, self tailer) & hoist sail (power winch may be used until final foot)
- Spotter for battens on lazy jacks or other issues
- Winch to tension, manually crank last foot.
- Bear away.
- Close clutches (outhaul, vang and reefs)
- Adjust outhaul and vang.
- Always ease main sheet with two turns on the winch before opening the clutch.
- Adjust traveler as needed
- Run and coil halyard, drop down companionway
- Close the throttle to slow idle.
- Place the gear shift in neutral.
- Stop the engine by depressing red stop button on Yanmar panel on SB side of cockpit coaming.
- Turn engine panel key to OFF.
- Before reaching 3 kts, shift transmission to reverse position momentarily and then back to neutral. This feathers the prop and prevents “free wheeling.”
- Continue running engine blower for 5 min. (or longer) after engine shutdown to cool down engine compartment and eliminate fumes.
- If close-hauled a barber hauler is rigged to the jib.
A Ultra-High Modulus Polyethylene (Dyneema/Spectra) pendent is fitted to both sides of the boom. The pendent is made fast to a pad eye with a soft-eye cow hitch.
- Attach tether to mast hard-point.
- Run extender line from cockpit (same side as boom) through one toe-rail block around shrouds throw forwardmost toe-rail chock/fairlead and then back aft around shrouds.
- Remove pendent from base of boom and attach to extender line shackle.
- If the appropriate strength extender line is without a shackle the line is passed through the soft eye at the end of the pendent and a stopper knot is made on the bitter end of the extender line. No bowline shall be used anywhere in the preventer setup.
- Flake out furling line on cockpit sole
- Windward (lazy) sheet loose
- Uncleat furling sheet and maintain tension
- Heave on leeward sheet
- Coil & stow remaining line on life line
- Trim headsail