Never abandon a floating vessel without orders from the Captain.
When the order to abandon ship is given, the following duties will be assigned:
Crew Person 1
- Grab neon green ACR (mounted above chart table) food ditch bag and 2 black MSR 10 liter dromedary bags (under chart table).
- Detach ACR EPIRB from above chart table and place in food ditch bag pocket.
- Grab handheld VHF radios, phones, tablets and place in food ditch bag.
- Grab flashlights, headlamps, sound signals, anything useful from locker just fwd of chart table.
- Follow MAYDAY distress call procedures. (Distress button on VHF and SSB followed with voice on VHF 16 and both 2182, 4125 (channel 1) on SSB.)
- Activate ACR EPIRB that’s been connected to GPS above chart table that is now placed in food ditch bag.
- Ready food ditch bag by attaching a water bag
Crew Person 2
- Remove contents from liferaft locker. It’s the forwardmost cockpit locker on the starboard side. Ready plastic flare container and ditch bag that are next to the liferaft.
- Deploy the life raft, ensuring that it is secured to the boat.
Crew Person 3
- Grab passports, and boat documentation.
- Grab phones, tablets, USB battery pack and put in food ditch bag.
- As time permits, secure extra water, floatation cushions, paddles, food, blankets, logbook, and selected personal items.
- Put on lifejackets and properly secure leg straps.
- Board life raft and secure harnesses.
- Activate 2nd (older) EPIRB 6-12 hours later from ditch bag.